This is one of the most simple and delicious dish you can make. This tangy and flavorful tomato recipe is perfect for any occasion. This is my mother’s recipe and it is definitely one of my family favorites. It is very simple to make and doesn’t take long or many ingredients. It can be served with a Raita or any vegetable curry. It’s a perfect accompaniment for any gravy dish too and can be used as a substitute to Jeera rice.
Tomatoes are often referred to as functional food as it’s a food that provides more than basic nutrition. It’s an excellent source of vitamin C and other anti oxidants. Tomatoes help combat the formation of free radicals which are known to cause cancer. They are rich in beta carotene, potassium, fiber content which all support heart health. Most of the times tomatoes are used as a flavor supplement in the food, mostly to enhance the tanginess, but they never get highlighted for their taste. This recipe the tomato is the highlighted as the main ingredient making it a perfect tomato recipe which everyone can enjoy.
Let’s get started
Ingredients you will need:
2 cups boiled rice
2 ripe medium-sized tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon mustard (Rai)
1 teaspoon cumin
2 green chilIes, finely chopped
1 pinch turmeric
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon sambar powder
Few curry leaves
Salt to taste
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin and fry them till they crackle.
- Add onions, green chilies, curry leaves and salt and fry them till the onions are translucent
- Add finely chopped red tomatoes, turmeric and fry them till they are nicely done. It will take about 5-6 minutes
- Once they are nicely done, add chili powder, sambar powder and salt as required. Fry it for another minute
- Now add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and garnish it with coriander
Serve hot and HAPPY EATING:)
- You can add roasted cashews to enhance the taste and also for garnish
- Tomato paste can be used in place off chopped tomato. The flavor might be slightly different but still tasty.