This is made with a variety of beans. Beans have a bad reputation that it makes people flatulent, but that’s no reason to cut them out of your diet. Experts recommend we should consume up to 3 cups of the legumes, any kind every week because they are so good for your health. And the more you eat, the less likely you are to have tummy trouble. There are so many varieties to choose from—black beans, navy beans, and kidney beans etc. This is a very healthy recipe which is high in protein content. All the healthy beans cooked with a variety of aromatic spices makes it very tasty dish you can make when you some guests over or any special occasion. This mixed bean dal has a very nice earthy flavor and silky texture.
Studies show that people who eat more legumes have a lower risk of heart disease. Beans also provide the body with soluble fiber which plays an important role in controlling blood cholesterol levels. Beans are also good for weight loss. A serving of beans will help you feel full more quickly and causes a slower rise in blood sugar. This will make you feel fuller longer and give you a steady supply of energy. Beans are also very good for diabetes. Even though it is known to make a person flatulent, you can help reduce the problem of gas production by changing the water several times during the soaking and cooking process.
Let’s get started.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
¼ cup Red Kidney beans (Rajma)
¼ cup White kidney beans
¼ cup Black eyed peas (Lobia)
¼ cup Chickpea (Chole)
¼ cup Green Gram
¼ cup Butter beans
1 medium sized potato
1 finely chopped medium size onion
1 cup tomato puree
2 garlic cloves
2 green cardamom (elachi)
1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania )
1 teaspoon Cumin powder
1 pinch turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 pinch kasuri methi
Salt to taste
Coriander for garnish
Soak all the beans for about 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
- In pressure cooker, place all the beans and potato. Crush the garlic cloves and add them to this. This will bring a unique flavor to the beans. Add sufficient water and pressure cook them. Let them cook for about 20 minutes or for about 4-5 whistles. Set aside
- In the meanwhile, in pan, heat two spoons of oil. Add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and fry them till they leave the aroma.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and fry it till the raw smell vanishes.
- Once the smell vanishes, add the onions and fry them till they become translucent
- Add tomato puree, salt and turmeric and fry for about 5-6 minutes or till the time tomatoes are cooked.
- Now add chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and fry it for another minute or two.
- Now open the pressure cooker and remove the potatoes aside. Add the beans to the gravy and along with the water.
- In a bowl, take the potatoes, peel them and mash them completely.
- Add this mixture to the curry. This adds volume and thickness to the gravy.
- Add water if necessary and cook until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Now add kasuri methi and switch off the flame.
- Garnish it with coriander and serve hot
This goes well with Roti/ Naan/ Parotas
- You can add a pinch of cooking soda to the beans in the pressure cooker to make them cook faster.
- If you want, you can also add fresh cream to the gravy to make it richer and tastier.